سخنان امام علی ( ع )
34. The best kind of wealth is to give up inordinate desires.
بهترین بى نیازى ، ترک آرزوهاست.
35. One who says unpleasant things about others, will himself quickly become a target of their scandal.
کسى در انجام کارى که مردم خوش ندارند، شتاب کند ، دربارة او چیزى خواهند گفت که از آن اطلاعى ندارند.
36. One who hopes inordinately, impairs his deeds.
کسى که آرزوهایش طولانى است کردارش نیز ناپسند است .
37. When Imam Ali, marching at the head of his army towards Syria, reached Ambar, the landlords of the place came out to meet him in zeal of their love, faithfulness and respect, no sooner had they seen Imam Ali they got down from their horses and started running in front of him. Imam Ali asked the reason of their strange actions. They replied that it was their custom to show their love and respect in that way. Imam Ali replied: "By Allah, by your action you do no good whatsoever to your rulers but you tire yourself and put yourself in toils in this world and in trouble in the next. How unfortunate is that exertion, which brings harm here and in the Hereafter and how useful is that ease which keeps you in comfort in this world and away from the Hell in the next.
38. Imam Ali once said to his son Imam Hasan, My son, learn four things from me and through them you will learn four more. If you keep them in mind your actions will not bring any harm to you: The greatest wealth is Wisdom; the greatest poverty is stupidity; the worst unso- ciableness is that of vanity and self-glorification; and the best nobility of descent exhibits itself in politeness and in refinement of manner. The next four things, my son, are: "Do not make friendship with a fool because when he will try to do you good he will do you harm; do not make a miser your friend because he will run away from you at the time of your dire need; do not be friendly with a vicious and wicked person because he will sell you and your friendship at the cheapest price and do not make friend of a liar because like a mirage he will make you visualize very near the things which lie at a great distance and will make you see at the great distance the things which are near to you".
39. Recommended prayers cannot attain the pleasures of Allah for you when obligatory prayers are left unattended.
عمل مستحب انسان را به خدا نزدیک نمى گرداند، اگر به واجب زیان رساند.
40. A wise man first thinks and then speaks and a fool speaks first and then thinks
. زبان عاقل در پْشت قلب اوست ، و قلب احمق در پْشت زبانش قرار دارد
41. A fool's mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise man's tongue is under the control of his mind.
قلب احمق در دهان او ، و زبان عاقل در قلب او قرار دارد .
42. One of the companions of Imam fell ill. Imam Ali called upon him and thus advised him: "Be thankful to Allah. He has made this illness a thing to atone your sins because a disease in itself has nothing to bring reward to anyone, it merely expiates one's sins and so far as reward is concerned, one has to earn it with his good words and good deeds. The Almighty Lord grants Paradise to his creatures on account of their piety and noble thoughts".
43. May Allah Bless Kabbab bin Aratt. He embraced Islam of his own freewill and immigrated (from Makkah) cheerfully. He lived a contented life. He bowed happily before the Will of Allah and he led the life of a mujahid.
44. Blessed is the man who always kept the life after death in his view, who remembered the Day of Judgment through all his deeds, who led a contented life and who was happy with the lot that Allah had destined for him.
خوشا به حال کسى که به یاد معاد باشد ، براى حسابرسى قیامت کار کند ، با قناعت زندگى کند ، و از خدا راضى باشد.
45. If I cut a faithful Muslim into pieces to make him hate me, he will not turn into my enemy and if I give all the wealth of this world to a hypocrite to make him my friend he will not befriend me. It is so because the Holy Prophet has said: " O Ali! No faithful Muslim will ever be your enemy and no hypocrite will ever be your friend. "
اگر با شمشیرم بر بینى مؤمن بزنم که دشمن من شود ، با من دشمنى نخواهد کرد ، و اگر تمام دنیا را به منافق ببخشم تا مرا دوست بدارد ، دوست من نخواهد شد و این بدان جهت است که قضاى الهى جارى شد ، و بر زبان پیامبر اُمى (ص) گذشت که فرمود :
" اى على ! مؤمن تو را دشمن نگیرد ، و منافق تو را دوست نخواهد داشت ."
46. The sin which makes you sad and repentant is more liked by Allah than the good deed which turns you arrogant. گناهى که تو را پشیمان کند بهتر از کار نیکى است که تو را به خود پسندى وا دارد.