آموزش انگلیسی به عنوان زبان دوم
بانک سوالات دبیرستان و پیش دانشگاهی . مکالمه . مقالات .
Here are the most common spelling rules in English. For exceptions to the rules take a look at Common Spelling Problems.
Use Capital (T, S, B, etc.) letters for the following types of words:
· Days, Months and Public Holidays
Monday, January, Christmas
· Proper names of People and Places
Jack, Maria, New York, Germany
· Titles for People
Ms, Dr, General
· Nationalities and Regions (both nouns and adjectives)
Dutch, Swedish, Basque
· Titles of Works of Art (content words only)
The Last Day of Summmer, American Journal of Medicine
When to Double Final Consonants
The final consonant of a word is often doubled when adding -ed, -ing, -er, -est in the following
· Double final "b, d, g, l, m, n, p, r and t" at the end of words:
rob - robbing
· Double these final letters there is the following pattern "consonant - vowel - consonant" at the end of a word. For example: travel - 'vel' v - consonant - e - vowel l - consonant.
· Words of more than one syllable have their consonants doubled only when the final syllable is stressed.
begin - beginn ing BUT open - opening
· When words have more than one syllable and end in 'l' British English always doubles the 'l', even in the case of unstressed syllables. American English, on the other hand, the 'l' is not doubled when the syllable is unstressed.
British English - travelled
[ ۱۳٩٠/۱/۳۱ ] [ ٦:۱٥ ب.ظ ] [ غلامعلی عباسی ]
|[ فالب وبلاگ : وبلاگ اسکین ] [ Weblog Themes By : weblog skin ]|